from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Bailey, Nathan or Nathaniel Died 1742. British lexicographer whose Universal Etymological English Dictionary, first published in 1721, was used as a reference by Samuel Johnson and was the first English dictionary to treat etymology consistently.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An occupational surname for a steward or official.
- proper n. A topographic surname from someone who lived by a bailey (the outer wall of a castle).
- proper n. A male given name derived from the surname.
- proper n. A female given name.
Sorry, no etymologies found.