from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A region of eastern India and Bangladesh. It was a province of India until 1947, when the eastern part became East Pakistan, and later (1971) Bangladesh, and the western section was included in independent India.
- Bay ofBengal An arm of the Indian Ocean bordered by Sri Lanka and India on the west, Bangladesh on the north, and Myanmar (Burma) and Thailand on the east.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A region in the northeast of South Asia.
- proper n. A player on the team The Cincinnati Bengals.
- n. A short-haired domestic cat breed, which originated in the United States.
- n. A cat of this breed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A province in India, giving its name to various stuffs, animals, etc.
- proper n. A thin stuff, made of silk and hair, originally brought from Bengal.
- proper n. Striped gingham, originally brought from Bengal; Bengal stripes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A thin stuff made of silk and hair, used for women's apparel: formerly made in Bengal.
- n. An imitation of striped muslin. Also called Bengal stripe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a region whose eastern part is now Bangladesh and whose western part is included in India
Sorry, no etymologies found.