from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology A Titan who was the father of Prometheus and Atlas and an ancestor of the human race.
- n. The satellite of Saturn that is 13th in distance from the planet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A Titan, the son of Uranus and Gaia, and father of Atlas, Prometheus, Epimetheus, and Menoetius.
- proper n. The third largest moon of Saturn
- proper n. An ancient ocean which existed between 600 and 400 million years ago.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In astronomy, the eighth or outermost, formerly called the fifth, of the satellites of Saturn.
- n. In entomology, a genus of homopterous insects, of the family Fulgoridæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Greek mythology) the Titan who was father of Atlas and Epimetheus and Prometheus in ancient mythology
Latin Īapetus, from Greek Īapetos.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek Ἰαπετός. (Wiktionary)