from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Alps or their inhabitants.
- adj. Of or relating to high mountains.
- adj. Biology Living or growing on mountains above the timberline: alpine plants.
- adj. Sports Intended for or concerned with mountaineering.
- adj. Sports Of or relating to competitive downhill racing and slalom skiing events.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or inhabiting mountains, especially above the timber line
- adj. ; of or relating to slalom and downhill skiing. (Compare Nordic.)
- n. Any of several plants, native to mountain habitats, often grown in a rock garden
Middle English, from Latin Alpīnus, from Alpēs, the Alps.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin alpinus, from Alpēs ("The Alps"). Cognates include French alpin. (Wiktionary)