from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The right to pasture animals on common land.
- n. The state of being held in common.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition of land that is held in common
- n. The right to pasture animals on common land
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The right of pasturing on a common; the right of using anything in common with others.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The use of anything in common with others; specifically, specifically pasturage or the right of pasturing on a common.
- n. That which belongs equally to all; that which is common or public.
- n. The commonalty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. property held in common
Compare Old French communage. (Wiktionary)