from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small shelter for a dog.
- idiom in the doghouse Slang In great disfavor or trouble.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any small house or structure or enclosure used to house a dog.
- n. A structure of small size, similar to that of a dog-house, but offering useful shelter for a human.
- n. Mechanically, an equipment cover with an opening, with a shape resembling a doghouse.
- n. A difficult or demoralizing situation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. outbuilding that serves as a shelter for a dog
- n. an idiomatic term for being in disfavor
dog + house (Wiktionary)