from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lacking stylishness or neatness; shabby: a dowdy gray outfit.
- adj. Old-fashioned; antiquated.
- n. A dowdy person; a frump.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Plain and unfashionable in style or dress.
- adj. Lacking stylishness or neatness; shabby.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Showing a vulgar taste in dress; awkward and slovenly in dress; vulgar-looking.
- n. An awkward, vulgarly dressed, inelegant woman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A slatternly, slovenly, ill-dressed woman; a slattern, especially one who affects finery.
- Slovenly; ill-dressed; slatternly: applied to women.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. deep-dish apple dessert covered with a rich crust
- adj. primly out of date
- adj. lacking in smartness or taste
- n. British marshal of the RAF who commanded the British air defense forces that defeated the Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain (1882-1970)
From Middle English doude, immoral, unattractive, or shabbily dressed woman.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Late 16th century. Origin uncertain: probably literally “little poorly dressed woman,” formed from doue “poorly dressed woman.” (Wiktionary)