from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Football A score worth three points made on an ordinary down by place-kicking or drop-kicking the ball over the crossbar and between the goal posts.
- n. Basketball A score made by throwing the ball through the basket in regulation play, worth two points or, if attempted from beyond a specified distance, three points.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. When the ball is kicked through the uprights and over the crossbar (not after a touchdown) for 3 points.
- n. A made shot that was not a free throw.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a score in basketball made by throwing the ball through the hoop
- n. a score in American football; a score made by kicking the ball between the opponents' goal posts
Sorry, no etymologies found.