from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Meat that has been slaughtered in the manner prescribed by the shari'a.
- adj. Of or being meat slaughtered in the prescribed way: a halal butcher; a halal label.
- adj. In accordance with or permitted under the shari'a.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. fit to eat according to Muslim religious practice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Islam) meat from animals that have been slaughtered in the prescribed way according to the shariah
- adj. proper or legitimate
- adj. conforming to dietary laws
Arabic ḥalāl, legally permissible, from ḥalla, to undo, free, be permissible; see ḥll in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic حلال (ẖalāl). (Wiktionary)