from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Ease of heart; peace or tranquillity of mind or feeling.
- n. A species of violet (Viola tricolor), a common and long cultivated European herb from which most common garden pansies are derived; -- called also pansy.
- n. A violet of the Pacific coast of North America (Viola ocellata) having white petals tinged with yellow and deep violet.
- n. A common Old World viola (Viola arvensis) with creamy often violet-tinged flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Ease of heart; tranquillity of mind. Also heart-ease.
- n. In botany: A popular and poetic name of plants of the genus Viola, especially V. tricolor, the pansy, and V. lutea, the common yellow violet of Europe. See pansy and violet.
- n. In some parts of the United States, the common persicary, peachwort, lady's-thumb, or smartweed, Polygonum Persicaria.
- n. In Australia, a small scrophulariaceous plant, Gratiola pedunculata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a common and long cultivated European herb from which most common garden pansies are derived
- n. common Old World viola with creamy often violet-tinged flowers
- n. the absence of mental stress or anxiety
- n. violet of Pacific coast of North America having white petals tinged with yellow and deep violet
Sorry, no etymologies found.