from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An inspection or exploration of an area, especially one made to gather military information.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of scouting or exploring (especially military or medical) to gain information.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An examination or survey of a region in reference to its general geological character.
- n. An examination of a region as to its general natural features, preparatory to a more particular survey for the purposes of triangulation, or of determining the location of a public work.
- n. An examination of a territory, or of an enemy's position, for the purpose of obtaining information necessary for directing military operations; a preparatory expedition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or operation of reconnoitering; preliminary examination or survey.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of reconnoitring (especially to gain information about an enemy or potential enemy)
French, from Old French reconoissance, recognition, from reconoistre, reconoiss-, to recognize; see recognize.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French reconnaissance ("recognition") (Wiktionary)