from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something, such as merchandise or literature, that is inferior or shoddy.
- adj. Of inferior quality; cheap or shoddy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Commodity that is shoddy or inferior.
- n. Tasteless comedy horror movies or theatre designed to shock people.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. merchandise that is shoddy or inferior
Possibly from Yiddish shlak, apoplexy, stroke, wretch, evil, nuisance, from Middle High German slag, slak, stroke, from slahen, to strike, from Old High German slahan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Yiddish שלאַק (shlak), related to German Schlacke/Schlag. (Wiktionary)