from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The lowest commissioned rank in the U.S. Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps.
- n. One who holds this rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The lowest rank of a commissioned army officer, below a lieutenant.
- n. The lowest rank of a commissioned officer in the United States Army, United States Air Force, or United States Marine Corps, below a first lieutenant. The rank of second lieutenant is equivalent to the naval rank of ensign.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a commissioned officer in the Army or Air Force or Marine Corps holding the lowest rank
Sorry, no etymologies found.