from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy: talk tête-à-tête; a tête-à-tête supper.
- n. A private conversation between two persons.
- n. A sofa for two, especially an S-shaped one allowing the occupants to face each other.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A face-to-face meeting, or private conversation between two people, usually in an intimate setting; a head-to-head.
- n. A bench or sofa that allows two people to talk face-to-face.
- adv. In private, between two people; head-to-head.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Private conversation; familiar interview or conference of two persons.
- n. A short sofa intended to accomodate two persons.
- adj. Private; confidential; familiar.
- adv. Face to face; privately or confidentially; familiarly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Face to face; in private; in close confabulation.
- Private; confidential; with none present but the persons concerned: as, a tête-à-tête conversation.
- n. A private interview; a friendly or close conversation.
- n. A short sofa, on which only two persons can comfortably sit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy
- adj. involving two persons; intimately private
- n. a private conversation between two people
- n. small sofa that seats two people
French : tête, head + à, to + tête, head.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French tête-à-tête ("head-to-head") (Wiktionary)