from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A systematic, usually extensive written discourse on a subject.
- n. Obsolete A tale or narrative.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A formal, usually lengthy, systematic discourse on some subject.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A written composition on a particular subject, in which its principles are discussed or explained; a tract.
- n. Story; discourse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Discourse; talk; tale.
- n. A written composition in which the principles of a particular subject are discussed or explained.
- n. A treaty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a formal exposition
Middle English treatis, from Anglo-Norman tretiz, alteration of treteiz, from Vulgar Latin *tractātīcius, from Latin tractātus, past participle of tractāre, to drag about, deal with; see treat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)