from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Roberts, John Glover, Jr. Born 1955. American jurist who has served as chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court since 2005.
- Roberts, Kenneth 1885-1957. American writer noted for his historical novels about the Colonial period, including Northwest Passage (1937).
- Roberts, Oral Born 1918. American evangelist who has preached widely on tours and radio and television broadcasts.
- Roberts, Richard John Born 1943. British-born chemist. He shared a 1993 Nobel Prize in medicine for discovering that some genes are not continuous but instead contain sequences, known as introns, that do not function as codes for the formation of a protein.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of Robert.
- proper n. An English and Welsh patronymic surname from the given name Robert.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States biochemist (born in England) honored for his discovery that some genes contain introns (born in 1943)
- n. a Welsh pirate credited with having taken more than 400 ships (1682-1722)
- n. United States writer remembered for his historical novels about colonial America (1885-1957)
- n. United States evangelist (born 1918)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Promoted to Headline (H2) on 7/6/09: Fascism Coming to a Court Near You; Corporate Personhood and the Roberts 'Court yahooBuzzArticleHeadline =' Fascism Coming to a Court Near You; Corporate Personhood and the Roberts\ 'Court'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: Thanks to the Roberts Supreme court, In just a few months, we may again stand at the same crossroad Roosevelt and Wallace confronted during the Great Depression and World War II.
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 1/25/09: Chief Justice Roberts 'Freudian Slip yahooBuzzArticleHeadline =' Chief Justice Roberts\ 'Freudian Slip'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: Under the bright lights of Freudian psychology, the misreading of the oath of office is a classical Freudian slip.
According to Roberts, a CNN official told him that a rep from Polo Ralph Lauren may make an appearance to debate Roberts\ 'claims that Lauren had demonstrated \ "reckless and irresponsible\" advertising, especially in recent ads.
ROBERTS: And here I was putting off buying a computer at Christmas because I thought jobs would come out with the MacWorld and say here's your brand new computer, Roberts, to make yours obsolete but he didn't.
Courting the Supremes: Justice Roberts 'big chance to go down in history one way or the other ... yahooBuzzArticleHeadline =' Courting the Supremes: Justice Roberts\ 'big chance to go down in history one way or the other ...'
VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Chuck Roberts Apologizes For Calling Lamont The \'Al Qaeda Candidate\' '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Arianna Huffington called on news stations to demand more accountability for comments made by their anchors after Roberts\ 'slander.
VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Roberts\' Senate hearing to raise many questions '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Roberts will be grilled on matters from abortion to civil rights when his Senate confirmation hearing opens, but a key issue is how much the 50-year-old conservative will answer. '
VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Sen. Reid Says He\'ll Vote Against Roberts'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid said Tuesday he would oppose confirmation of Chief Justice-nominee John Roberts, questioning Roberts\' commitment to civil rights and accusing the Bush administration of stonewalling requests for documents that might shed light on his views. '
Former Phillies great Robin Roberts is amazed by pitchers 'weight training programs today and the number of pulled stomach muscles and leg injuries.
Dec. 5: Julia Roberts is all over the small screen tonight