from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The sixth month of the year in the Jewish calendar. See Table at calendar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The sixth month of the civil year in the Jewish calendar, after Shevat and before Nisan.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The twelfth month of the Hebrew ecclesiastical year, and the sixth of the civil. It corresponded nearly with March.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Hebrew month, being the sixth of the civil and the twelfth of the ecclesiastical year, corresponding to the latter part of February and the first part of March.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sixth month of the civil year; the twelfth month of the ecclesiastic year in the Jewish calendar (in February and March)
Hebrew 'ădār, from Akkadian adaru, addaru, month corresponding to parts of February and March.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hebrew אֲדָר (adár). (Wiktionary)