from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Vela and Lupus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A spring constellation of the northern sky (and autumn of the southern sky) with the outline of a centaur. It includes the stars Alpha Centauri and Proxima Centauri.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a conspicuous constellation in the southern hemisphere near the Southern Cross.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ancient southern constellation, situated between Argus and Scorpio, pictured to represent a centaur holding a Bacchic wand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a conspicuous constellation in the southern hemisphere near the Southern Cross
Latin Centaurus, centaur; see centaur.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin centaurus, from Ancient Greek κένταυρος (kentauros, "centaur"). (Wiktionary)