from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Crater and Virgo. Also called Crow2.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Corvidae — ravens, crows, jackdaws and the rook.
- proper n. A constellation of the southern sky, said to resemble a crow. It lies south of the constellation Virgo.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In astronomy, an ancient southern constellation, the Raven.
- n. [lowercase] In Roman antiquity: A kind of grapnel used in marine warfare.
- n. A ram, used for demolishing walls, consisting of a beam bearing a pointed iron head with a heavy hook: distinctively called the corvus demolitor.
- n. [NL.] In zoology, the central and typical genus of the Corvinæ and of the Corvidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small quadrilateral constellation in the southern hemisphere near Virgo
- n. type genus of the Corvidae: crows and ravens
Latin corvus, raven.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin corvus ("raven") (Wiktionary)
From Latin corvus ("raven, crow") (Wiktionary)