from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The 12th month of the year in the Jewish calendar. See Table at calendar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The twelfth month of the civil year in the Jewish calendar, after Av and before Tishrei.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sixth month of the Jewish year, by the sacred reckoning, or the twelfth, by the civil reckoning, corresponding nearly to the month of September.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The twelfth month of the Jewish civil year, and the sixth of the ecclesiastical, beginning with the new moon of August.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the twelfth month of the civil year; the sixth month of the ecclesiastical year in the Jewish calendar (in August and September)
Hebrew 'ĕlûl, from Akkadian elūlu, a month name, probably from elēlu, to become pure, become holy; see ḥll in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)