from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An automobile manufactured by the Italian firm Fiat S.p.A..
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An authoritative command or order to do something; an effectual decree.
- n. A warrant of a judge for certain processes.
- n. An authority for certain proceedings given by the Lord Chancellor's signature.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A command that something be done; specifically, an absolute and efficient command proceeding from, or as if from, divine or creative power.
- n. In English law, a short order or warrant of some judge for making out and allowing certain processes, given by his subscribing the words fiat ut petitur, ‘let it be done as is asked.’
- Existing as if by absolute divine or creative command; having the character or power of such a command.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a legally binding command or decision entered on the court record (as if issued by a court or judge)
Italian abbreviation: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino ("Italian Automobile Factory of Turin") (Wiktionary)