from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of an ancient Germanic people of southern Sweden conquered by the Swedes in the sixth century A.D.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of a North Germanic tribe formerly occupying modern Götaland in Sweden.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The channel or spout through which molten metal runs into a mold in casting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The hole through which metal runs into a mold in castings.
- n. In type-founding, the little spout or gutter made in the “brim of a casting-ladle.
- n. An obsolete spelling of jet.
- n. See get, 2.
Old English Gēat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English Gēat, from Proto-Germanic *gautaz (“Geat”). (Wiktionary)