from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A Hebrew prophet of the sixth century B.C.
- n. See Table at Bible.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A male given name
- proper n. A book of the Old Testament and the Hebrew Tanakh.
- proper n. A minor prophet, a son of Samuel, and other Old Testament persons.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an Old Testament book telling Joel's prophecies
- n. a Hebrew minor prophet
Hebrew yô'ēl, Yahweh (is) God : yô, Yahweh; see hwy in Semitic roots + 'ēl, God; see אl in Semitic roots.
After Joel.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Hebrew יוֹאֵל (yoél, "Joel"), from "Yahweh (is) God". As a medieval French and English given name, it is also a rendering of the Breton saint's name Judicaël (related to Joyce and Jocelyn). (Wiktionary)