from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ancient prophet believed to have compiled a sacred history of the Americas, which were translated and published by Joseph Smith as the Book of Mormon in 1830.
- n. A member of the Mormon Church. Also called Latter-day Saint.
- adj. Of or relating to the Mormons, their religion, or the Mormon Church.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The ancient American prophet of Mormon theology who compiled the Book of Mormon.
- n. A person who belongs to the Christian religious groups related to the religion founded by Joseph Smith, Jr., The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- adj. Of, or pertaining to, the faith established by Joseph Smith, Jr.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A genus of sea birds, having a large, thick bill; the puffin.
- proper n. The mandrill.
- proper n. One of a Christian denomination (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) in the United States, followers of Joseph Smith, who professed to have found an addition to the Bible, engraved on golden plates, called the Book of Mormon, first published in 1830. The Mormons believe in polygamy, and their hierarchy of apostles, etc., has control of civil and religious matters.
- n. A member of a sect, called the Reorganized Church of Jesus of Latterday Saints, which has always rejected polygamy. It was organized in 1852, and is represented in about forty States and Territories of the United States.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Mormons
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, the name, generic or specific. of several animals.
- n. An adherent of a religious body in the United States, which calls itself “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
- n. In entomology, an American hesperiid butterfly, Atrytone hobomok, which occurs from eastern Canada to the Mississippi valley. Its larvæ feed on grasses. Also called hobomok skipper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ancient prophet whose writings were revealed to Joseph Smith who founded the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- n. a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- adj. of or pertaining to or characteristic of the Mormon Church
Sorry, no etymologies found.