from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A girl who killed herself for love, and was turned into an almond tree.
- proper n. A female given name derived from the mythological character.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A country girl; a shepherdess; a sweetheart: a common name for such in old romances, pastoral poems, etc.
- To address or celebrate in amatory verses.
- n. A genus of undershrubs of the gamopetalous order Rubiacæ and the tribe Anthospermeæ, characterized by stamens inserted on the base of the corolla, and fruit consisting of two pyriform indehiscent carpels.
From Ancient Greek Φυλλίς (Phullis, "foliage"). (Wiktionary)