from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Producing or designed to produce strict conformity by ruthless or arbitrary means.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Procrustes, or the mode of torture practiced by him; producing conformity by violent means
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or resembling Procrustes, a robber of ancient Greece, who, according to the tradition, tortured his victims by placing them on a certain bed, and stretching them or lopping off their legs to adapt the body to its length; resembling this mode of torture.
- Hence Reducing by violence to strict conformity to a measure or model; producing uniformity by deforming or injurious force or by mutilation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the mythical giant Procrustes or the mode of torture practiced by him
After Procrustes, a mythical Greek giant who stretched or shortened captives to make them fit his beds, from Latin Procrustēs, from Greek Prokroustēs, from prokrouein, hammer out, to stretch out : pro-, forth; see pro-2 + krouein, to beat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)