from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname.
- proper n. A male given name from the surname, or from the word "royal".
- n. someone connected with Reading Football Club, as a fan, player, coach etc.
- n. A person in a royal family, as the Prince of Wales.
- adj. Used in terms of address or reference to members of a royal family.
- adj. Used in the names of organisations within the British government, as, the Royal Navy, Royal Mail.
A habitational surname ,shaped by folk etymology, from places in England, Ryall and Ryhill, Old English ryge ("rye") + hyll ("hill"), and Royle, rā ("roe") + hyll ("hill"). (Wiktionary)