from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Herbert Spencer or his philosophy.
- n. A follower of Herbert Spencer.
- adj. Of or relating to an ornate style of writing employing rounded letters slanted to the right.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or relating to the English philosopher Herbert Spencer (born 1820), or characteristic of his philosophical system. See Spencerianism.
- Pertaining or relating to P. R. Spencer or to his system of free-hand writing, introduced about the middle of the nineteenth century.
After Platt Rogers Spencer (1800-1864), American handwriting expert.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)