from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Vandyke beard.
- n. A Vandyke collar.
- n. A V-shaped point that is part of a decorative border or edging.
- n. A border made up of such points.
- Vandyke, Sir Anthony 1599-1641. Flemish painter whose numerous portraits, including many of the English court, are remarkable for their dignity and gentle emotion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A style of facial hair which has both a mustache and goatee but with all cheek hair shaven.
- n. A style of dress or collar similar to those in Anthony van Dyck's portrait paintings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the style of Vandyke the painter; used or represented by Vandyke.
- proper n. A picture by Vandyke. Also, a Vandyke collar, or a Vandyke edge.
- transitive v. To fit or furnish with a Vandyke; to form with points or scallops like a Vandyke.
Named after 17th century Flemish painter Anthony van Dyck. (Wiktionary)