from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. See Waldenses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An inhabitant of the Swiss canton of Vaud.
- n. A member of the Waldensian religious movement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inhabitant, or the inhabitants, of the Swiss canton of Vaud.
- n. A modern name of the Waldenses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The dialect spoken in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland.
- n. An inhabitant or the inhabitants of the canton of Vaud.
- Pertaining to the canton of Vaud or to its inhabitants.
- A member or the members of the religious body generally known as Waldenses. See Waldensian.
- Pertaining to the Vaudois or Waldenses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Christian sect of dissenters that originated in southern France in the late 12th century adopted Calvinist doctrines in the 16th century
French, from Old French vaudeis, from Medieval Latin Waldēnsēs; see Waldenses.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)