from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A Hebrew prophet of the seventh century B.C.
- n. See Table at Bible.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A book of the Old Testament and the Hebrew Tanakh.
- proper n. A male given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Hebrew minor prophet of the late 7th century BC
- n. an Old Testament book telling the prophecies of Zephaniah which are concerned mainly with the approaching judgment by God upon the sinners of Judah
Hebrew ṣəpanyāh, Yahweh has treasured : ṣāpan, ṣəpan, he has hidden, treasured; see ṣpn in Semitic roots + yāh, Yahweh; see hwy in Semitic roots.
After Zephaniah.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)