from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An image which persists or remains in negative after the original stimulation has ended.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The impression of a vivid sensation retained by the retina of the eye after the cause has been removed; also extended to impressions left of tones, smells, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An image perceived after withdrawing the eye from a brilliantly illuminated object.
- n. In psychology, any phase of sensation which persists after the withdrawal of the exciting stimulus: as, a visual afterimage; an auditory after-image; an afterimage of pressure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an image (usually a negative image) that persists after stimulation has ceased
Sorry, no etymologies found.