from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mental retardation.
- n. Lack of development of intellectual capacity as a result of inadequate brain tissue.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Mental impairment; state of being mentally handicapped.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Imbecility; total lack of understanding.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Imbecility of mind; idiocy or dotage. Formerly sometimes called amenty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. extreme mental retardation
Latin āmentia, madness, senselessness, from āmēns, āment-, insane; see ament2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin āmentia ("madness; senselessness"), from āmēns ("mad, insane; foolish"), from ab ("from, away from") + mēns ("mind"). (Wiktionary)