from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that amplifies, enlarges, or extends.
- n. Electronics A device, especially one using transistors or electron tubes, that produces amplification of an electrical signal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Anything that amplifies, or makes something larger or more intense.
- n. An appliance or circuit that increases the strength of a weak electrical signal without changing the other characteristics of the signal.
- n. An amp, specif. a particular type of speaker used to amplify voices and musical instruments at live performances.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who or that which amplifies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who amplifies or enlarges.
- n. A lens placed in the tube of a microscope between the object-glass and the eyepiece. See microscope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. electronic equipment that increases strength of signals passing through it
Sorry, no etymologies found.