from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several shrubs of the genera Pieris or Andromeda or their relatives.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any shrubs of the genus Pieris, having leathery leaves and small flowers.
- n. Bog rosemary.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A northern constellation, supposed to represent the mythical Andromeda.
- n. A genus of ericaceous flowering plants of northern climates, of which the original species was found growing on a rock surrounded by water.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A northern constellation, surrounded by Pegasus, Cassiopeia, Perseus, Pisces, Aries, etc., supposed to represent the figure of a woman chained. The constellation contains three stars of the second magnitude, of which the brightest is Alpheratz.
- n. [NL.] A genus of plants, natural order Ericaceæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a constellation in the northern hemisphere between Cassiopeia and Pegasus; contains the Andromeda galaxy
- n. (Greek mythology) an Ethiopian princess and daughter of Cassiopeia; she was fastened to a rock and exposed to a sea monster that was sent by Poseidon, but she was rescued by Perseus and became his wife
- n. any of several shrubs of the genus Andromeda having leathery leaves and clusters of small flowers
- n. broad-leaved evergreen Asiatic shrub with glossy leaves and drooping clusters of white flowers
From Andromeda.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)