from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A leavened rum cake, usually made with raisins.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A kind of sponge cake soaked in rum-flavoured syrup.
- n. A grandmother.
- n. An old woman, especially a traditional old woman from an eastern European culture.
- n. A father.
- n. A holy man, a spiritual leader.
- n. A baby, child.
- n. In baby talk, often used for a variety of words beginning with b, such as bottle or blanket.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of plum cake.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A child's variant of papa.
- n. A light kind of fruitcake, of Polish origin.
- n. An Oriental title of respect applied by tributary Arabs to the Turks
- n. to the ushers of the seraglio, and to the Patriarch of Alexandria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small cake leavened with yeast
French, from Polish, old woman.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
As one of the first utterances many babies are able to say, baba (like mama, papa, and dada) has come to be used in many languages as a term for various family members: (Wiktionary)