from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Zoology A small barb or pointed projection, especially one of the small projections fringing the edges of the barbs of feathers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the secondary barbs that form a fringe of small projections on a feather.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A very minute barb or beard.
- n. One of the processes along the edges of the barbs of a feather, by which adjacent barbs interlock. See Feather.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small barb, as of a plant; a little beard. Also barbula.
- n. In ornithology, one of a series of pointed, barb-like processes fringing the barbs of a feather.
- n. The part of a helmet which protects the cheeks and chin.
- n. In botany, the inner row of teeth in the peristome of certain mosses.
Latin barbula, diminutive of barba, beard; see bhardh-ā- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)