from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The fitted part of a dress that extends from the waist to the shoulder.
- n. A woman's laced outer garment, worn like a vest over a blouse.
- n. Obsolete A corset.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An article of clothing for women, covering the body from the neck to the waist, lacking sleeves or with detachable sleeves.
- n. A woman's blouse-like garment, especially with European folk dress.
- n. The upper portion of a one- or two-piece dress, in distinction to the skirt and sleeves.
- n. A kind of under waist stiffened with whalebone, etc., worn especially by women; a corset; stays.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of under waist stiffened with whalebone, etc., worn esp. by women; a corset; stays.
- n. A close-fitting outer waist or vest forming the upper part of a woman's dress, or a portion of it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sort of inner stays or corset, laced in front, worn by women, and sometimes by men: also called a pair of bodies, or a bodies.
- n. An outer laced garment, covering the waist and bust, worn by women in some European styles of costume, often as an ornament.
- n. More generally, the close-fitting waist or body of a gown.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. part of a dress above the waist
Alteration of bodies, pl. of body.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From bodies, plural of body ("upper part of a dress") (Wiktionary)