from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rattling or clattering sound.
- n. A movement that produces such a sound.
- intransitive v. To make a rattling or clattering sound, especially by rushing or scampering.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To rattle; to make a scampering noise
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a loud rumbling or rattling noise; thunder.
- To move rapidly with a clattering noise.
- n. A clattering noise like that made by the feet of horses moving rapidly.
- n. Rapid motion; a short rapid race.
- n. A violent attack.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a rattling sound
Imitative .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Apparently imitative, probably under influence of break + rattle. (Wiktionary)