from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Meditative; contemplative.
- adj. Oppressive: "The room's air was broody and sullen, like the season's own, full of storm clouds” ( Nicholas Proffitt).
- adj. Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them: a broody hen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female bird which is in the condition to incubate eggs; a broody hen, duck, etc.
- adj. sitting persistently and protectively on a nest, in order to hatch eggs (eg, 'a broody hen').
- adj. acting interested in raising young.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inclined to brood.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a brooding disposition; inclined to brood or sit, as a hen.
- Breeding or adapted for breeding: as, a broody bitch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. deeply or seriously thoughtful
- adj. physiologically ready to incubate eggs
- n. a domestic hen ready to brood
Sorry, no etymologies found.