from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A concave molding with a cross section that approximates a quarter circle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A concave moulding.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A concave molding; -- used chiefly in classical architecture. See Illust. of column.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture, a hollow member, or round concave molding, containing at least the quadrant of a circle, used in cornices, between the tori of bases, etc.
- n. In decorative art, a hollow or recessed pattern: the reverse of relief and rilievo.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a concave molding shaped like a quarter circle in cross section
Italian, diminutive of cavo, hollow, from Latin cavus; see keuə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Italian cavetto, from cavo ("hollow"), Latin cavus. (Wiktionary)