from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The presiding officer of an assembly, meeting, committee, or board.
- n. The administrative head of a department of instruction, as at a college. See Usage Notes at man, person.
- transitive v. To act as chairman of.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person (implied male) presiding over a meeting.
- n. The head of a corporate or governmental board of directors, a committee, or other formal entity.
- n. Someone whose job is to carry people in a portable chair, sedan chair, or similar conveyance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The presiding officer of a committee, or of a public or private meeting, or of any organized body.
- n. One whose business it is to cary a chair or sedan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. pl. chairmen (-men).
- n. The presiding officer of an assembly, association, company, committee, or public meeting.
- n. One who assists in Carrying a sedan-chair. Prior. Also called chair-bearer.
- n. One who wheels an invalid's or other similar chair.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization
- v. act or preside as chair, as of an academic department in a university
From chair + -man (Wiktionary)