from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A soft, lightweight, usually printed fabric made of wool, cotton, or rayon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a light, soft fabric having a printed design
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A soft and delicate woolen, or woolen and silk, fabric, for ladies' dresses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name originally given to a choice fabric of silk and wool first manufactured at Norwich, England, about 1832.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a soft lightweight fabric (usually printed)
Possibly from the surname Challis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)