from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hunt or pursuit.
- v. to hunt or chase
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. See chivy, v. t.
- n. A cry used in hunting.
- n. A hunt; chase; pursuit.
- n. The game of prisoners' base. See Base, n., 24.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To chase about or hunt from place to place; throw or pitch about; worry.
- n. A halloo; a shout; a cheer.
- n. The game of prisoners' base.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. annoy continually or chronically
Probably from Chevy Chase, the scene of a battle celebrated in a number of early ballads. (Wiktionary)