from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various herbs of the genera Cerastium and Stellaria, especially S. media, a European weed naturalized worldwide. The herb has small white flowers, petals with two deep lobes, and opposite leaves.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several small-leaved herbs of the genera Cerastium and Stellaria.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The name of several caryophyllaceous weeds, especially Stellaria media, the seeds and flower buds of which are a favorite food of small birds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of Stellaria media, a common weed in cultivated and waste grounds, flowering throughout the year.
- n. A name of several plants of other genera.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various plants of the genus Stellaria
- n. any of various plants related to the common chickweed
So called because it is eaten by chickens.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
chick + weed (Wiktionary)