from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small, six-legged larvae of mites of the family Trombiculidae, parasitic on insects, humans, and other vertebrates. The chigger's bite produces a wheal that is usually accompanied by severe itching. Also called chigoe, harvest bug, harvest mite, jigger2, red bug.
- n. See chigoe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A chigoe (Tunga penetrans), a kind of flea found in tropical climates.
- n. A harvest mite, a very small, red mite endemic to the Midwestern and Southeastern US, the infestation of which causes intense itching.
- n. : (slang, US) derogatory term for an East Asian person who behaves in ways similar to a stereotypical urban African American.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a small tropical flea (Tunga penetrans, formerly Pulex penetrans); same as chigoe.
- n. a larval mite of the family Trombiculidae that sucks the blood of vertebrates including human beings, causing intense irritation, and serving to transmit several infectious diseases.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A perverted form of chigoe. Compare jigger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small tropical flea; the fertile female burrows under the skin of the host including humans
- n. larval mite that sucks the blood of vertebrates including human beings causing intense irritation
Alteration of chigoe.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From chigoe (Wiktionary)
Blend of chink and nigger (Wiktionary)