from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bird (Caprimulgus carolinensis) of the southern and central United States, resembling but larger than the whippoorwill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Antrostomus carolinensis, a goatsucker of the southern United States.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large whippoorwill-like bird (a species of goatsucker) (Caprimulgus carolinensis, formerly Antrostomus Carolinensis), of the southern United States; -- so called from its note.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The great goatsucker of Carolina, Antrostomus carolinensis, a fissirostral caprimulgine bird, with short rounded wings, long rounded tail, small feet and bill, the latter garnished with long rictal bristles giving off lateral filaments, and dark, much variegated coloration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large whippoorwill-like bird of the southern United States
Imitative of its call.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Imitative of its note. (Wiktionary)