from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yard adjacent to a church, especially a cemetery.
- n. The ground on which a church stands.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A patch of land adjoining a church, often used as a graveyard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The ground adjoining a church, in which the dead are buried; a cemetery.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The ground or yard adjoining a church; especially, such a piece of ground used for burial; hence, any graveyard belonging to a church.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the yard associated with a church
Sorry, no etymologies found.