from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A narrowing or constricting, especially of the aorta or of a blood vessel.
- n. The state of being enclosed in an oval horny case. Used of an insect pupa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A stenosis, especially of the aorta.
- n. confinement to a narrow space
- n. pressure; that which presses
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Confinement to a narrow space.
- n. Pressure; that which presses.
- n. A stricture or narrowing, as of a canal, cavity, or orifice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Confinement; restriction to a narrow space; restraint of liberty.
- n. Pressure; contraction; specifically, in medicine, the contracting or lessening of the diameter of a canal, as the intestine or the urethra, or the contraction of a cavity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tight or narrow compression
- n. (biology) a narrowing or constriction of a vessel or canal; especially a congenital narrowing of the aorta
Latin coarctatio. (Wiktionary)