from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having lower parts made of or covered by copper (especially of a ship or cookware).
- adj. Thoroughly reliable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a bottom made of copper, as a tin boiler or other vessel, or sheathed with copper, as a ship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the bottom sheathed with copper, as a wooden ship.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a bottom of copper or sheathed with copper
From the copper sheathing applied to the bottom of a wooden ship to prevent damage from marine organisms. In literal sense 18th century, in figurative sense attested since at least 1807. (Wiktionary)